Tuesday, September 1, 2009

lots of new things to learn..lots of work to be done

Today was my first real busy day. We started at 9am with "tool time with Joe". Jamie(my fellow farm manager) and I learned how to use all different saws, drills, and basic power tools. We even learned to use a chain saw which was pretty fun! (until the the blade kicked off while I was using it b/c it was a little too loose causing Joe to take the time to fix it and replace the blade). As I was learning, I couldn't help smiling and thinking if only Grandpa could see me now! :) It turns out we may need to do some construction and we will need to cut up lots of wood this winter, so although it was fun to learn it was also a lot to take in, knowing we really had to use this stuff. After our lesson, Jamie and I went to Wild Woman's to mow her lawn/ get a crash course on using the mowers. Since one mower wouldn't start, I used the push mower while Jamie used the weed eater. We got the yard done pretty quick so we were rewarded with the time to sit with wild woman before heading to our next job. After about 30min, we had to head to Licking valley senior center. We had to pack commodities (food from the government) for the elderly in the area who live on their own. 85 bags later, we were out the door on the way to our next job. We then entered the Tollesboro clothing part of Lend a Helping Hand food pantry. Lend A Helping Hand hands out food to anywhere between 230-270 families twice a month. Glenmary farm managers are responsible for the clothing portion that allows anyone coming in to get whatever clothing they need as well. So, since this week is a pantry week, Jamie and I had to start organising and cleaning the clothing site to prepare it for Friday's handout. After that, we had to put the mowers away in the shed up the hill, and then we were finally done. Wiped with my first busy day, I am looking into the upcoming days with similar schedules. Although I am tired, it feels good. There is so much to learn and so many skills I do not have- slowly I am starting to adjust. Taking it one day at a time, I look forward to the day when some of these new tasks will seem easy. Until then, your farm manager in training,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment