Wednesday, September 2, 2009

learning that maybe we aren't so different after all

Since this is an "off" week I've had more time to settle in/ update the blog/ keep in touch...but i feel its the calm before the storm...soon and very soon things are going to get busy here at the farm. Today I drove for the first time on KY roads...and made it to Joe, the volunteer directors office in one piece...yay! Then Jamie and I went to help Charlie Campbell, a local artist, mix resin for his stain glass window he was making...so cool!! Later at night we attended a Pentecostal prayer service at a local church. Much different from a Catholic service, but it was pretty neat! The people were so into the service, it was impressive, and hard not to be moved by it. Towards the end of the service a little girl in front of us was getting antsy(it was about3 hrs long after all) and a woman next to her(I'm guessing was her relative) was letting her play with her hair over and over again. It was something so simple but I was overcome with memories of my childhood, me and my sister playing with my moms hair (and anyone who would let us). Then I started thinking...I grew up in New York, I was raised a Catholic...there are many things different about me than these people surrounding me in this church...but that all seemed not to matter...I think after all..deep down...were really are more the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment