Saturday, November 13, 2010

Highlights of summer:

Besides the flooding and robberies, there were many many other exciting events this summer. First off, it was beautiful weather! We had many days over 100 degrees..which for me working outside in the heat all day..there really is nothing better! We helped frame houses, we mowed yards, and we fixed Wws fence numerous times. Three new calves were born, and they loved being trouble makers, squeaking through any spot they could.
We had groups almost every week this summer. We had a young adult group who took spirituality at the farm to a new level. It was cool to talk about things on a different level. Yet, it was also an interesting challenge working with a different population of people. We also started a new tradition each night. After we realized our negativity in our tiredness, we decided focus on the positives. We would write down and share three good things with each other each night. Not only doe sit end the day on a good note, but it helps us vent and connect as a team with each other and makes us excited for the next day.
The last couple groups of the summer posed challenges. We has flat tires and deathly bee stings. We got lost and forgot chaperones, we had car troubles a couple times and groups show up unannounced. We had sick chaperones and groups who had to leave early. It was an adventure in many ways, but we made it. What a summer!
I have to say, one of the best things this summer was having my brother Tim come down to the farm and join on a group fro the week. I was homesick and having him here was so good. Yet, I also worked for almost a year with hundreds of volunteers I most likely never would see again. I knew the farm changed them, but I never saw it. My brother, I knew would have a great time and get so much from a week here…at least I hoped. I wanted to work with him everyday and be there to introduce him to those I had grown to love in this community, but I also wanted to give him the space to have his own experience. Looking back, it was perfect. I got to work with him half the time. We had a lot of fun! People kept commenting during the week how close we were. Tim and I found this funny. We knew we loved each other and got along, but we never considered it out of the ordinary close…so hearing all the feedback on how special our relationship, made me even more grateful for my awesome brother. It was so good to have him here, and great to show him what I really have been up to this past year. Also, Tim was here for my birthday. My fellow farm managers made it special, very special. But having Tim here really made it great! So, whatever the future holds, we will always have Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment