Saturday, November 13, 2010

Farm manager adventures




The Fall was filled with farm manager adventures. We were able to work the Lewis County Fair and help serve food in the Laurel booth. It was really fun being able to see so many people we know enjoying the fair. It also was fun to relive my food service days.

We also were able to do before Alex left were to visit Notre Dame. It was really cool seeing the school I had heard so much about over the year. Also seeing Alex with his friends from school always makes me smile. He gets so excited and the mutual love shown is really beautiful. Seeing all of the places and people I heard about was fun. We got to go to a game and tour the town. We were tired by the end, but it was a fun trip.
During the summer and Fall, we frequented the local farmers market. With our gardens being destroyed twice, we bough all our produce we could locally. The farmers selling to us were really friendly and filled us in on cooking tips and local events. When they told us about the Harvest fest and the apple pie baking contest, well we had to participate. We asked around for tips. WW gave us a stellar homemade crust recipe. From there, we made an awesome practice pie. It turned out awesome! And then, we decided to each make our own pies an we threw all our practice out the window. In the end, mine got second. I was shocked! I even got a ribbon. It was pretty sweet! The other two women who won first and third were from the homemaker group that I’m a mailbox member of. They also were women who were apart of sewing week. I couldn’t believe my pie could compete with theirs…looks like Ill be making more pies from scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment