Saturday, November 13, 2010

Clean up, clean up, everybody every where, clean up, clean up everybody do their share:

For the second flood cleanup, I felt much better. We not only knew what to do, but we started right away. Stuff that took us two weeks last time only took us one this time. We also had tons of help. We had four farm managers instead of two-three. We also had help form the community. Father Larry came and took apart bunks for us. Jewel and speedy came and helped me clean outlets. Jill, a past farm manager helped as well as college students from St. Clarence church. Again. The second week of cleanup was the week my friends came to work and stay on salt lick. I had been waiting all summer, excited to work and catch up with them. Yet, because of the floods, well I had to bop back and forth between glen springs and the farm. However, Joe and my fellow farm managers were great! They let me leave more then I expected to.
With the second flood, many in our community got hit for the second time. However many who had never been hit by floods before were also hit. Spending time with my friend working in the community, we helped the salvation army hand out meals. We also drive all over the county, looking for those who looked flooded. We knocked on doors and asked if they needed help. After many people not answering, we found a couple who were interested in help. We cleaned floors, and moved flooded items outdoors. We ripped up old carpets and were able to put in new ones. It was fun for me cleaning up others houses. I knew how to clean up this time, but also its easier to clean someone else’s stuff rather then your own. Many of the jobs were not finished after this week, which is another reason I was happy to stay, and help over a longer period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment