Friday, October 23, 2009

Saying goodbye to Notre Dame

This week was another good week...I learned some important lessons about myself that I think can make me a more effective farm manager in the future. When I first arrived on the farm and saw the schedule I wanted to know why we did not have groups every week. Joe had explained that he turns down groups every year and I wanted to know why...I thought we could handle it...after all any of you who know the way I like to live my life, its jam packed with so many things...theres barely room to breathe...the thought of not being able to fully give of myself week after week seemed unlikely....well I learned that is not true for me

After the week with Mount St. Mary's, I was tired. It was a phenomenal week emotionally and spiritually. So, coming from one days rest it was not that I was tired physically and could not do the work, but was emotionally tired and started to see myself not completely there.

In the beginning of the week I felt a little guilty. It took longer for me to learn all of the students names and hear their stories than usual...I felt I was not there fully in the first half of the week. However, the students from Notre Dame were great! Their energy and drive to go above and beyond really made a difference. At times I felt they were carrying me...and by mid week things worked out. I had a great time working with them and learning from them. It was also neat to seem them all bonding with each other...its funny that always seems to happen here on the farm.

Looking back...the week was a great one...I think in the midst of it I did not realize how good it really was until after. Last night, sitting around the fire sharing stories...I was blessed with the gift of community. So, thank you Notre Dame students for giving your all this week and making it such a good experience for me. Your work this week has made a difference...so thanks.

Also, today is a good day...Lindsay and Mel are coming to visit...which means I am one lucky girl
until next time,
wishing peace and sending my love,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment