Thursday, January 7, 2010

15 pounds redistributed...Simplicity here I come

So, I am now safely back at the farm...it is snowing and we are planning for the next week. It is peaceful now, and again is seems the calm before the storm.

But, lets just say my journey back was not without a few laughs....So, Christmas, a time of giving...well my family is always way to giving and this year they gave me some boots and warm clothing...things I can really use on the farm...as well as a handmade quilt from Linds and her mom...and some crafts and books...things for the off weeks. Well, I set out to take most of it back with me...what a challenge since my suitcase was packed before I came. So, I opted to pack my jumbo suitcase...which took me 2 hours just to put everything in. I also jammed full my back pack and a small purse. Packed to capacity in the morning...well my bag looked over 50 pounds. Me and maggie tried to weigh it...but it was larger then the scale and we couldn't figure it out. So, I head to the airport thinking that usually overweight bags are about 50$ instead of 20...which is cheaper then shipping all the stuff I needed. I get to the baggage line and the woman tells me that bags under 50 are 20$ and those over are 90$...how outrageous!!! So she said either pay the extra 70 or redistribute 15 pounds...hm mm the choice was easy for me. After about 20 minutes and four tries I was wearing rain boots, had snow boots filled with clothing as well as all my toiletries in my purse, sneakers and shoes tied to the top of my backpack, my pockets stuffed...and well as every ounce of the two carryons I brought...a little uncomfortable...but totally worth it. The woman kind of rolled her eyes at me...but I made it. I was nervous about getting through security with all my stuff...pulling my laptop out of the crazily packed bag...but it was all fine...I got through. A few stares along the way, I did not mind but found amusing. Once we landed, I was the first farm manager into the airport so when I got my bag...I had to repack to be more comfortable...so, sadly there is no evidence of my disheveled appearance...
I was a little embarassed about the amount of stuff I had with me...we focus on simplicity...and well I had a lot of stuff with me....Jamie and Alex's bags combined were not as big as mine...they had to help me put it in the truck even...but I guess thats just me...I like to be overly prepared...and its something I am working on...but for now...it brought a laugh
So, heres to starting things in an unusual way...feeling good about 2010

2 comments:

  1. if it makes you feel better, my bag on the way back was 64 lbs, I needed a different bag than the one I brought, and i ended up pulling a bag out of the checked bag to redistribute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahha classic...yes that makes me feel better lol

    ReplyDelete