Wednesday, December 30, 2009

home during the holidays

I am very blessed to be able to spend this time home for the holidays. Seeing family and friends and spending good quality time is all I ever want for Christmas.
This year, being physically farther away, and knowing I will not be back here for about 8 months leaves the holidays bitter sweet. Also, there seems to be a feeling of living a double life when I am home. At the farm, it is easy to live an intentional life. There is time to think about your actions and how you want to be(sometimes ).Simplicity is easier there...the farm is set up for it. Daily reflection is easier there, especially with no tvs around. So, coming home is a treat being able to see everyone, to call and text 24/7 to watch tv and have whatever stores needed within a reasonable reach....but in a way it feels like I am also living a double life. When I am at the farm....that life seems so normal...and when I first got home...things seemed a bit crowded...it was almost overwhelming...well now...home seems normal again and life at the farm seems well so far away...like another lifetime....how can it be that we can adjust so quickly to things that are so different? One thing I am learning this time around which I didn't learn at Thanksgiving...is to try and reconcile the two lifestyles into one...mix the two extremes into one better lifestyle....if I can take how I live at the farm and bring it out into the world I am from...which will be much harder....well, I think that is the real challenge....anyways just some thoughts...
Things at home have been great! Seeing those I love, feeling loved...and trying to share a little of the farm with them here....
Today we are off to see the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City...then dinner with Nana...perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Col, I totally understand the idea of double life...I am home now, and I feel at home here and trinidad, though both transiently, and don't really know where I fit. But I know you, and I know you will be able to make the two worlds fit together and make for yourself a space in it where you can change the world. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete