Monday, February 15, 2010

Wake Up...its pitch dark outside...I know the power is out

Last Tuesday, I woke up with a start...looked out my usually bright window(we have safety lights outside) and saw darkness...saw my clock was off...and realised the power was out. I, was on breakfast crew which meant...I was in charge of waking the troops...getting breakfast and the day started. Not knowing what time it was...not having a phone to call about work sites...and not having power to cook meals...I started to panic a little inside. I felt around for a candle and a match and found my way to my trusty farm manager handbook...in the book it says "flip breakers or call electric company"...so I flip the breakers...knowing most likely that wont work b/c the outage was probably from the snow storm...so I wake up Alex...and eventually Jamie. We light some more candles...decide to wait until daylight to wake the group and start the meal. (we figured out it was about 6am so we only had to wait about an hour for sunlight. We make plans...and wait for the light. Just as I am about to wake the group....the power turns on...HOORAY! so, we had a lovely pancake breakfast...and although we were snowed in on the farm...we couldn't leave b/c the hill was too icy...we made the most of the day. We could tell some of the students were disappointed...they wanted to work..and meet people in the area...and they felt it a waste to stay on the farm....we tried to explain the importance of any work...and some understood...if I was in high school(or even my first two years in college)I know I would not see the bigger picture so easily...so that's impressive that some of them got it so soon.

Anyways....when we got snowed in a second day....it was hard to keep spirits up...but everyone made an effort. Over the two days snowed in we got soooo much done...we sewed many bags for the pantry...we had a sewing circle and shared stories which was really fun! We made Valentines for the Nursing home, and a crate for our athletic equipment. One group tore up the tile in the staff house and another ripped the rotten walls off the woodshed. The group cleaned and reorganised the pantry and the tools shed and the kitchen and the bunks and even repaired our couches...whew...what a list!! Anyways...the group really helped the farm...all the things we don't necessarily have time to do other weeks...were done and done well! Later in the week we did get off the farm...some people cleaned the church, others got to meet Wild Woman and others organised food and shelves at the food pantry...and...and...completely sorted the remaining clothes in the clothing pantry...I know amazing!

Anyways...as a whole it was a week that kept us on our toes...a week that challenged us all...and a week that helped us see things differently. The chaperone's were great which helped a lot! Some highlights include the night out at a local church...the group was awesome...and it was an experience I will always remember...going up for another song...how great!

Overall I feel I was challenged by this week...a lot personally...but I think it was good for me. I was brought back and reminded what it was to be a girl in high school...and I gained a lot of perspective....so thanks for a great week...and thanks for the snowy weather...

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! you really encourage and inspire me, colleen! i love your positive outlook on everything!

    ReplyDelete